There are more than 6000 languages in the world, and Swedish is one of them. If you consider to live and work in Sweden, it is a must! The Swedish language will help in many ways even if you want to live an isolated life.
Interestingly, Swedish people speak good English, and they can understand the language: American movies, English literature and historical connectivity to the USA and global necessity for economic and political reasons made the country to learn English: English is taught across schools. Thus, Swedish is a pragmatic country – the country that invented brutalism in architecture. However, English is always a second or third language! So, you cannot escape from learning the sweet tonal language – Swedish!
According to KLURIGT, a publication of spraktidningenochforskinning, there are about 54,000 people whose mother tongue is English. One report says more British have made applications to stay back in Sweden, and also to become Swedish citizens after Brexit. Swedish is the de facto language of Sweden, and also one of the official languages of the European Union (EU), and it is also spoken in Finland (one of the two official languages).
Swedish belongs to the Germanic branch of Indo-European family, and closely connected to Danish (Denmark) and Norwegian (Norway). Swedish has foreign words resonating in its lexicon ranging from English and German to French.
There are words that resonate like they were in English, for example, anchovies = ansjovis(utter the word, sound it, shout it out): … ansjovissounds almost like in English. You will notice some resemblances in pronunciation and spelling in some ways but never uniform and consistent.
When compared to other languages, learning Swedish is easier and quicker (from 6 months to 2-3 years): Do you know how many characters or alphabets are there in Chinese? 3500! But according to The Chart of Generally Utilized Characters of Moden Chinese is 7000 characters, and according to The Great Compendium of Chinese characters = 54,678, and according to The Dictionary of Chinese Variant Form = 102,630!
Swedish is a regulated language unlike English, and has homogenous spelling system unlike in English (color or colour, neighbour or neighbor, diaresis or dieresis).
Advantages of learning Swedish:
- Learning another language enriches you: makes you less stressed, more nicer, and be welcomed
- Enables you to broaden and deepen your employment opportunities
- Brain gets bigger, and your integration into the Swedish society easier
- Your attention improves (less distracted by trivia), and your assimilation into Swedish professional world far more lovelier
- As a result of learning Swedish, your outlook will change: the way you see Sweden and Swedish (people and language) for better
- A new language is an addition to your personal, professional and cultural accomplishments in life, and gives you a new dimension
- As a result of learning Swedish, you will also be better at nonverbal communications and makes you more rational and reasoned
- Your memory is nourished, memory retention is protected and doubled and perceptive skills are broadened
- Probably, you will preclude Alzheimer’s and dementia
- You will be good at multitasking: reading, translating and interpreting from Swedish to another language
- Your social milieu of cross-cultural and transnational is widened: enables you to enjoy cultural nuances of Swedish in an enriching manner
- You will discover to yourself, again: the joy of learning.
Welcome to Sweden, and the Swedish language.
This website aims to give you a basic or elementary introduction to the Swedish language before you start your journey …
Your suggestions are welcome.